Saturday, January 15, 2011

Father Thomas Merton

A short excerpt from "Run to the mountain" which is one of the published journals of Thomas Merton (the story of his vocation)...


It is easier to begin praying by glorifying God and remembering His goodness and His mercies, for they are obvious. Obvious, for example, in the consolation of the cool air, or the sun or the rain which falls on the just and the unjust alike - or in the stories of the Saints, or in the miracles of the Gospel, or in Christ's preaching, or in the miracles of the Saints, or in the great solace of Mass and prayer. But in continually asking for things without glorifying God and first being unmindful of his mercies, then prayer becomes sometimes dry and barren and harsh and without solace, and is reduced to mumbling.



I'm really enjoying reading this book. It's the first journal type of book I've ever read and it's interesting to go deep into someone else's daily reflections, especially that of a priest.=)
Anyway, PRAYER is now an extremely important part of my life, and it should be for any other young lady who is striving to be holy. It often feels like the whole world is fighting against you and there are temptations at every corner. But prayer is the one thing that you we can be sure will keep us strong in faith. The Lord, Our Heavenly Father is always there when we need Him.

"I will be with you as I was with Moses: I will not forsake you. Be firm and steadfast..."  
-Joshua 1:5


To really connect to Him, we must talk to Him daily, through prayer! It's not easy though because I often find myself asking for all sorts of things (which in reality I know I don't really need). I have to keep reminding myself that Our God is a Great God.




Dear Father, you are holy and let your name forever be praised. Please help me to remember your mercies that come each day. Help me to remember that without you I am nothing. Help me to serve you better and to be a good example of what it means to be a Christian. 

1 comment: