Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Woman's Question

This is one of my favourite poems...


A Woman's Question
by Lena Lathrop

Do you know you have asked for the costliest thing,
Ever made by the Hand above?
A woman's heart and a woman's life,
And a woman's wonderful love.

Do you know you have asked for this priceless thing,
As a child might ask for a toy?
Demanding what others have died to win,
With the reckless dash of a boy.

You have written my lesson of duty out,
Manlike, you have questioned me.
Now stand at the bars of my woman's soul,
Until I have questioned thee.

You require that your mutton shall always be hot,
Your socks and your shirts be whole;
I require that your heart be as true as Yah's stars,
And as pure as His heaven, your soul.

You require a cook for your mutton and beef,
I require a far greater thing.
A seamstress you're wanting for socks and shirts,
I look for a man and a king.

A king for the beautiful realm called Home,
And a man that his Maker Yah, could,
Look upon just as He did at the first,
And say, 'it is very good'.

I am fair and young but the rose may fade,
From this soft young cheek one day;
Will you love me amid the falling leaves,
As you did 'mong the blossoms of May?

Is your heart an ocean, strong and true,
I may launch my all on its tide?
A loving woman finds heaven or hell,
On the day she is made a bride.

I require all things that are grand and free,
All things that a man should be;
If you give this all, I would stake my life,
To be all you demand of me.


If you cannot be this, a laundress and cook,
You can hire and little to pay;
But a woman's heart and a woman's life
Are not to be won that way.


  Denise

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good spiritual blog.
    I have added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Denise! I found your blog through An Old-fashioned Girl. :) I just learned of this poem not too long ago, and I love it! Funny how things you've just recently discovered show up in unexpected places! :)
    ~Hallie Jo
    halliejophotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete